This recipe gives Chile Verde an attitude adjustment by swapping out the pork (traditionally called for in this Mexican dish) with Aspen Ridge® lean ground beef. Cayenne and chili powder give this easy weeknight meal a little extra kick. Enjoy with cheese and homemade white corn tortillas.
- 1 pound Aspen Ridge® lean ground beef
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 (16-ounce) jar green salsa, green enchilada sauce or taco sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto or kidney beans, rinsed
1. Cook beef, bell pepper, and onion in a large saucepan over medium heat, crumbling the meat with a wooden spoon, until the meat is browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
2. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and cayenne; cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Stir in salsa (or sauce) and water; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Stir in beans and cook until heated through, about 1 minute.
Diabetes appropriate | Low calorie | Low cholesterol | Low saturated fat | Heart healthy | Healthy weight | High fiber | High potassium | Gluten free
Per serving: 307 calories; 8 g fat ( 3 g sat , 3 g mono ); 64 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 6 g fiber; 516 mg sodium; 641 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Vitamin A & Zinc (40% dv), Folate (20% dv), Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 ½