Braised Aspen Ridge® Short Ribs
Nutrition ProfileCalories: 1,137.9, Total Fat: 36.2g, Cholesterol: 167.8mg, Sodium: 1,743.6mg, Potassium: 2,769.7mg, Total Carbohydrate: 118.0g, Protein:87.2g
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Season short ribs with salt and pepper, and brown well in a heavy casserole with 4 ounces of oil.
- As meat is browning, add vegetables and garlic into the pan and brown lightly.
- Add tomato paste and red wine, then reduce by half and add reduced beef stock or demi-glace and bay leaf.
- Cover and put in oven.
- After 15 minutes, reduce heat to 325 F and cook for approximately 1 ½ hours or until meat is very tender and starting to pull away from the bone.
- Over high heat in a large sauté pan or casserole, put a tablespoon of oil and sauté chopped kale for 2 minutes.
- Add farro, leeks, celery root, and stock into pan and bring to a rapid simmer, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
- When the liquid is close to being cooked away, but faro is still wet, add in acorn squash, butter, olive oil, parsley, and grated cheese to taste.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange farotto on plates along with short ribs.
- Strain vegetables from the braising liquid, season with salt and pepper if needed, and pass separately.
Learn how we use a natural process to produce natural beef.
Recipe developed by Chef Rick Laakkonen