Chuck Roll Roast
Chuck Roll Roast
Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutesPT1H30M
Cook Time: 5 hoursPT5H
Here is the great American meal, accented by red wine and plenty of garlic. Memorable roasts require some time commitment, but the effort required for this recipe is minimal. We’ll walk you through each step for how to make a chuck roll roast. Best of all, you’ll achieve tasty results your family will L-O-V-E. This is an Aspen Ridge® exclusive.
2-4 lbs. assorted vegetables: carrot, celery, onion, potato, mushroom … cut into pieces
2 cups dry red wine
2 quarts of beef stock or demi-glace
6 garlic cloves, chopped
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
1 bay leaf
5 sprigs fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Season roast liberally with coarse salt and black pepper.
- In a heavy casserole, add just enough oil to coat bottom of pan. Brown roast well.
- As roast is finishing browning, add chopped garlic to pan and sauté briefly.
- Add tomato paste to pan and sauté briefly, spreading it around.
- Add red wine to casserole pan and reduce by half. Add beef stock or demi-glace, bay leaf, and thyme.
- Cover casserole loosely with aluminum foil and place in preheated oven.
- After 20 minutes, reduce temperature to 325 F and continue cooking for 2 1/2-3 1/2 hours depending on size of roast.
- Add cut vegetables to roasting casserole during the last hour of cooking. Check roast from time to time, stirring vegetables and remove foil tent during last half hour of roasting.
- Remove roast from oven when it is becoming fork tender. Let roast rest for 20 minutes loosely covered before carving.
- Serve sliced roast along with the vegetables and pan gravy.