How to Cook Steak on the Charcoal Grill: Grill the Perfect Steak Every Time
Whether you’re hosting a grill out and want to impress your guests or simply want to elevate your grilling skills, knowing how to cook steak on the charcoal grill is essential. Fortunately, it’s easy to create the mouthwatering, bold flavors of steak on the charcoal grill for yourself. Check out this quick video for tips on grilling the perfect steak on the charcoal grill, every time.
Video: How to Grill Beef Tenderloin on a Charcoal Grill
View all steps (along with ingredients and other tips for grilling steak below).
Steps for Cooking Steak on the Charcoal Grill:
First, gather your supplies—your favorite charcoal, the grill, tongs, and, of course, your steaks.
What you’ll need: Steaks for grilling
Tender and perfectly portioned, beef tenderloin is excellent for preparing on the charcoal grill, but Ribeye, New York Strip, and Top Sirloin work well too. We recommend USDA Prime or Choice Natural Angus beef for added marbling and flavor.
Additional ingredients: Seasonings for grilling steak and steak toppers
Like other beef cooking methods, grilling steak results in a flavorful eating experience that only calls for salt and pepper. Use sea salt and black pepper to level up the experience or add garlic and rosemary to elevate the taste.
For steak toppers, we recommend a savory blend of butter, garlic, and parsley. Add shrimp for a decadent surf and turf option, or try this recipe for Grilled Steak with Summer Vegetable Relish.
Fire up the grill!
Now that you’re ready to cook your steak, follow these easy tips from the video to prepare it on the charcoal grill. We’ve used beef tenderloin filets, but the instructions work for any cut resulting in an evenly cooked, delicious steak.
Instructions for Charcoal Grilling Steak
- Preheat the grill by piling charcoal to one side. (Use the charcoal side for searing and the cooler side for cooking). We prefer using hardwood lump charcoal because it lights easier and burns hotter than briquettes.
- Season both sides of the steak with salt and pepper and place on the searing side of the grill.
- Cook 2-4 minutes until a crust has formed.
- Flip steak and cook the other side for 2-4 minutes until browned.
- Sear all sides of the steak for additional flavor.
- Move steaks to the cooler side of the grill and cover them with the grill lid.
- Keep covered for 3-4 minutes, and then check the temperature.
- Once the internal temperature reaches 135 °F, remove the steak from the grill and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Optional: top with garlic and parsley butter and serve.
Now, you’re ready to cook steak on the charcoal grill! View related recipes and ways to cook beef.
Grilled Beef Recipes
Mastered cooking traditional steak dishes on the charcoal grill? Expand your grilling repertoire with these delicious recipes.
Other Ways to Cook Steak
If you want to stay inside, try these effortless cooking methods for Ribeye, New York Strip, and other beef cuts.