Beef Stew with Red Wine and Carrots
Nutrition ProfileCalories: 798.7, Total Fat: 49.8g, Cholesterol: 137.8mg, Sodium: 342.3mg, Potassium: 1,376.0mg, Total Carbohydrate: 15.9g, Protein: 66.8g
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Heat the oil and bacon together in a dutch oven over medium heat, stirring occasionally, just until the bacon is browned but not crisp. Transfer the bacon to a plate. Season about one third of the beef with salt and pepper, and brown in a single layer in the pot. Cook till all sides are brown. Transfer the beef to the bacon plate, and season and brown the remaining beef in two more batches.
- When all the beef chunks are browned, pour off all but about 1 tablespoon of drippings. If your pan is dry, just add an other tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add the shallots, season with a large pinch of salt and several grinds of pepper, and sauté until they just begin to soften. Add the brandy and let it boil away.
- Add the tomato paste, garlic, and herbs, stirring to incorporate, and sauté for another 1 minute. Add the wine and bring to a boil.
- Add the tomatoes and juice and using a spatula cut the tomatoes into pieces. Add the orange zest, and return the beef, bacon and juices to the pot. Finally, add the carrots, bring to a simmer, cover, and place into the oven.
- Cook the stew, stirring every 45 minutes, until the meat is tender, 2 to 3 hours. Before serving, skim off any surface fat, taste for salt and pepper, and stir in the parsley if using.
Learn how we use a natural process to produce natural beef.